• 1 pound medium fresh asparagus
• 1 cup water
• 1/8 teaspoon salt
• 2 teaspoons olive oil
• 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
• 1 clove garlic, minced
• 1 cup each California red and green seedless grapes, coarsely chopped
• 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
• 1 teaspoon dijon-style mustard
• 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
Remove thick, woody part of asparagus spears. Bring water and salt to boil. Add asparagus and cook about 5 to 7 minutes or until crisp-tender and still bright green. While asparagus is cooking, heat olive oil in a skillet and sauté onion and garlic. Add grapes, vinegar, mustard and pepper; heat thoroughly. Spoon half of grape mixture onto serving platter, top with cooked asparagus and spoon remaining grape mixture over asparagus.
The fresh grape relish also works well with grilled asparagus.
Serve with broiled fish or chicken breast.
Calories 110; Protein 3.3 g; Fat 3.0 g; Calories from Fat 22%; Carbohydrate 20.8 g; Cholesterol 0 mg; Fiber 3.3 g; Sodium 108 mg.